15 April 2015

"self talk." uPdATe at bottom of post



























"If it's not acceptable to 
                   say it to other people,
           why say it to ourselves?"

how would you react if someone told you
out loud what you are secretly thinking?

Dove's "One Beautiful Thing" video
does just that . . and
gets to the point of how we as women
can be our own worst enemies. 
We berate
ourselves over 
imperfections, 
unrealistic expectations,
then wonder at our sorry state
of disillusionment.

this video, which i've watched
three times ... so far ... has brought
me to a place of examining my
own "self talk." 
my personal view isn't necessarily
how others see me.
more importantly, 
it isn't
how God sees me. 
so why do i do it?
this is a good thing to think on...

do we do this to other women?
this .. 
unnatural expectation of perfection. 
is it societal? rooted in competition?
why?

i am His precious daughter
and He delights in me.

YOU ... are His precious daughters
and He delights in you. 

we don't need perfection
to be beautiful. 

watch this video a few times..
there are subtitles so watching a few
times will offer an intimate glimpse
of body language, facial expression,
and response. 
please watch.
let's change this pattern.....
beginning with ourselves.




after watching the video a few times, please click on this link: Desiring God .. for a beautifully written and encouraging article about this subject. this link was given to me by my long time dear friend, jan from minnesota. we've known one another for 39 years. yowza.

blessings,
Sherry

12 comments:

  1. Yes! I need to watch that again!

    We need to learn to think of ourselves as He thinks of us- beautiful, loved, delighted in. Instead we put our own words or thoughts about ourself into His 'mouth' thinking He thinks of us the way we think of ourselves, unworthy, unloved, too much, not enough...

    I want to learn to hear His voice above my own.

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing when seen like that! We don't realize how bad we treat ourselves. Thank you for sharing this.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that took my breath away! I'm guilty of saying horrible things about myself, to myself. I really have to ponder on this....thank you for sharing your thoughts today and this video. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. deanna .. yes, view ourselves how HE views us. what a concept, huh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. adrienne .. society puts such demands on women to look younger, be thinner, botox this that or the other, you're not acceptable, you're not loved. no more. let's be encouragers to one another and kind to ourselves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. patty .. you and me both, dear friend. i've laughingly said, "the reunion's next week - how can i lose 50 pounds overnight?!" then i use self depreciating humor to bash myself. sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love what Deanna said about learning to hear His voice above my own!! We are His daughters!!! Mercy, can we even truely fathom what that means?? And, not only that ,but it was He who made that possible way, and He who drew us to Himself!!! Glory you are so right, we do not think on this truth often enough!! I needed this right now!!! Thank you beautiful Sherry!!!!!!~<3tammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. tammy .. know what's funny, er, sad really. your sweet compliment of calling me 'beautiful sherry'..? i immediately wanted to share how beautiful i am NOT, by sharing all my multitude of imperfections both physically and character wise. sigh. thank you for always being you. you're so special and i'm thankful to know you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I watched the video twice and this is such an impactful reminder. It made me think of the verse Philippians 4:8, and how that not only includes our thoughts about others, but also ourselves! Thanks for sharing this Sherry.

    Phil 4:8

    "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things."

    ReplyDelete
  10. pearl .. thank you for sharing this passage. you're right in that this also covers thoughts *about* ourselves. sweet stuff to ponder, hm?

    ReplyDelete
  11. sharing all of this. . .your blog, the video, and the article. . .you are bringing truth and healing and beauty from pain. . .Isaiah 61 Woman of God

    ReplyDelete
  12. susan .. if anything at all good comes from me it's of God. i'm thankful to be used as a vessel in little ways. thank you for that sweet compliment.

    ReplyDelete

pearls of wisdom . . .