16 May 2015

you may not know . .




i like to watch bowling. 
and recently, on an obscure channel, 
was a show called Celebrity Bowling
filmed in the 70s. i recall
watching the show back then and really
enjoying it. that joy
held fast this time around as well.
some people think me odd for that...


and at one time in a different dimension
in a land far away i was on a
bowling team with some employees from my job. 
i held a 140 (not high but consistent),
used a 9 pound ball, 
and routinely
developed a blister on my thumb.
but the shoes were cute.

{picture found on pinterest}

early in our marriage we went bowling, with me offering a disclaimer that it had been so long since i bowled that i'm sure my attempt would be a sad one. being the gentleman that he is he let me go first. and that dear friends was the onset of an excellent defeat, for my first roll produced a strike, then three more. poor guy. i do believe he was in a daze for days. 

and now? i don't bowl. but the last time i did my friend and i chose to bumper bowl and we did well! very well indeed. and the shoes? just as cute as long, long ago. 



*



17 comments:

  1. Those were the day my friend... I also bowled we had our own group, not a league but a young grop of is went weekly, it was bowling or skating. I also bowled quite well, as for the shoes don't you remember in the 90's they tried to bring back that retro bowling look in the tennis shoes and sweaters.??

    Fun days.

    Xx
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i don't remember the bowling fashion redo of the 90s...
      my memory is slipping..?

      Delete
  2. I am not the world's best bowler so you would not want to bowl with me - no matter how 'rusty' you might be! My uncle decided to teach me to bowl so I could share his sport with him when we visited. I didn't do well and by game three - well, let's just say I was too tired! I rolled an entire game of gutter balls! Perhaps that's why you never saw me on Celebrity Bowling!
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're a celebrity in your own right and don't need cute bowling shoes to prove it. ;)

      Delete
  3. Well you convinced me to give bowling a try! Enjoy your weekend.
    xx,
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. living vicariously through you..
      my bowling days are done.

      Delete
  4. Are those mauve shoe strings?? ;-) I haven't bowled very much ,but when i have i have loved it. Even that one time on a date when the ball was released a little to soon and it flew in back of me!! After the fear of oh my what have i done, we laughed and laughed!!! Good memories. I think it is super cool you bowled on a team!!~tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. soft, medium rose toned shoe laces. i'm sure. no mauve here. wink.

      awesome memory - forgive me if i laughed just a little bit.

      Delete
  5. I remember that show. I am a terrible bowler, except on the wii. Then I am really good!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to go bowling this Summer! It's been a really really really l o n g
    time since i bowled. Your post makes me want to go bowl. Blessings to you,
    d

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i fear i'd put my back out if i tried bowling at my age and frame. ahem.

      Delete
  7. Too cute! I am not a very good bowler (well maybe if I had bumpers...) The kids were all in a homeschool bowling league for years and they had such fun! Thank you for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my daughter bowled (for fun, not a league) with her homeschool friends. very fun. sweet memory..that one. :)

      Delete
  8. Haha, my husband is very competitive and I'm not, so if I ever beat him in anything, he keeps at it until he beats me. Bowling is not an issue though, I'm terrible. I've had lots of kids, and we always took two lanes, so naturally I would play with the younger kids on the bumper lane. We do play a lot on Wii though...and hubby still wins :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. seasons change ...... i treasure the bumper lane now!!! :)

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

pearls of wisdom . . .