16 September 2015

tending home while recuperating from surgery..



once upon a time when my daughter was little and i was young(er) and energy was at a premium, i kept a clean home. a very clean home. by 9am my home was ready for the day .. scoured, vacuumed, tidied. i kept to a card file system of doing particular things every day and most of the time it worked out very well. the rest of the day was spent with my little girl, going to the park (twice), finger painting, building blocks, baby dolls, cute little kid videos, reading, snuggling, bathies, laundry, preparing meals, and readying myself for my husband's arrival home .. 

that was many years ago and i'm no longer young(er) and my energy isn't tippy top. in fact, energy is sorely lacking at present due to recuperating from surgery. abdominal surgery isn't for the faint of heart - any surgery really - for it prevents one from a full capacity kind of existence and things go by the wayside. understandably so. today at 4:30pm will mark one week since surgery. and as of this morning, i sense i've turned a corner and from this point on am in true healing mode. healing that is noticeable to me personally. i live in my skin and my impatient self wanted to be well - already. not gonna happen, friends. things take a bit more time when you're a bit older. a spring chicken i'm not. but as i said, as of this morning i sense i've turned a corner. 

that said, there are some things i'll do today that won't tax my abilities at present and will offer the satisfaction of getting a few tasks completed. this will go far in helping me to have a better outlook of my home. 

i have to walk. that's a given post surgery activity. it's in my post surgical guidelines. after surgery and while in the hospital i first stood up at midnight with the help of my nurse. i was fairly wobbly but determined to make it to the potty room or else! 

in abdominal surgery, standing up from a sitting position reveals the need to go slow while supporting your lower quadrant. every single time. once standing upward, you need to straighten your spine so your stance is tall. then reach high and stretch. get your bearings again and begin walking. that could take me outside with the pooch while she frolics or does her duty. and since i'd be outside i may as well bring some trash, recycle, or compost to the bins. i can't lift much (it's in the guidelines) so i may have to make a couple trips. that's okay .. it aids in wellness. 

then i rest. and i've fallen asleep rather fast the past week - usually on the couch. always remember and never feel guilty for resting. it's paramount to recovery. in fact, it's paramount for recovery post surgery as well as going through tough emotional/spiritual crisis. remember that. 

other than doing a bit of kitchen tidying nothing else has really happened in my home to keep it clean the past week. today i'm making efforts to change that. all within parameters keeping me safe and not overtaxing my abilities at present. 

living room :: fluff pillows and straighten ottoman magazines, books, and take time to dust surfaces. this involves walking, gentle squats, and light arm movements.

kitchen :: there were projects on the kitchen table before my hospital stay and those projects remain. i can organize them and complete one project in particular. the other project will wait for me to fix my sewing machine. it's not the end of the world. hot sudsy water in the sink and dishes can be washed, rinsed, and set in the drainer. i can clean the counters and stove top.

bathrooms :: with a gentle careful squat i can put bowl cleaner in the bowl and swish. i can also spray and wipe the mirror and surfaces. i can change out the towels. 

bedroom :: straightening sheets/comforter and fluffing pillows goes a long way to making the room pretty and inviting. then i look at my dresser and see an overwhelming collection on top as well as scarves spilling from their drawer. i think i have 1,431 scarves. at least. that's a project for another day because right now it's a bit overwhelming. 

laundry :: i'm short and reaching into the washer to transfer clothing etc to the dryer isn't comfy for my tender tummy area at present. i can put clothing in but need to wait for the hubs to get home from work to transfer to the dryer. that's okay .. a job fully done working together.

the floors in my home can wait. or that sweet man will sweep and swish .. he's always been the sort of man to meet a need when he sees it as a need. he's swell. 

things not in their proper place can be picked up in a lightweight basket or paper grocery bag .. then walk to whichever room an item belongs and deposit it in it's rightful place. i'm still within my post surgery guidelines of not lifting too much too soon. 

while it'd be easy to do absolutely zip zero nada .. choosing instead to lollygag on the couch watching pride and prejudice while eating bon bons 24x7, necessary healing requires necessary activity. and today a corner is turned in just that direction... besides, bon bons are seriously overrated. blech.

one more thing. water. drink water. always have a glass or water bottle at the ready. water purifies your body and post surgery you need it to survive, cleanse your system from anesthesia and trauma, flushing any toxins out and hydrating well. so drink your water! even without a surgery excuse, drink your water!!!

i know my mom reads my blog and has my best at heart and i love her so - - -  so mama - please know i'm not overdoing it. little by little, bit by bit, smidgen by smidgen .. then rest. ♥♥♥♥♥

until next time,
sherry



28 comments:

  1. in my housecoat as i read this...rest can be just the ticket.
    thinking about you as you recoup.

    resting,
    d

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm still in pajamas .. needing to be uber comfy during this time. :)

      Delete
  2. Perhaps I should follow your lead and my home would be nifty spiffy, too. I'm glad to hear that you've turned a corner - and can now do a bit more. I remember so well from past surgeries. Take care, dear friend. Don't turn too many corners at the same time!
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. easy does it... don't overdo!
      and yes, i think these things can be put into place no matter where we are in life's journey. little by little. life sometimes has set backs and i see my little plan as something of a guide to get back on track. i went outside with the pooch and she went right to the little backyard cottage - wanting to go inside. so inside we went and up on the bed for a little rest. perfect.

      Delete
  3. It is amazing what can be done a little at a time. Praying a quick recovery! Be careful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... and that's just it. a little at a time. :)
      didn't get through my list - only half.
      and that's okay.

      Delete
  4. Love you! You are amazing. Great advice, on rest, activity and recovery.

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think we can be too hard on ourselves ..
      the *shoulds* and *woulds* of expectation.
      grace... a necessity.

      Delete
  5. Plenty of rest my dear, not only healing but to prevent the body from scaring.
    I am like you a first morning routine to clean and off I go for the day, work, errands, pay bills, the market before I head home and a bit of evening cleaning. Always not a thing out of place. As for any illness of mishap, I so dislike my days being disrupted by illness or I'm your case a surgery of sorts! Me? There is no time to be laid up on the sofa, and if so days of stress in what needs to be done takes over.

    All I can say is rest my dear, and when you are well your daily routine will be embraced with the joy of house work and daily life.
    If I were a neighbor, I would offer my hands in the helping of a day here and there to clean, I have done just that for friends and ones who are suffering gave illness. I even make little changes for them in arranging the house giving it a new energy and face lift.
    I am most certain you will shortly be baxk to yourself and baxk in the garden.

    Take care my friend, read a good book and comfort your soul knowing we are sending healing prayer in your name.

    See you soon

    Xx
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i have no care or concern about scarring.. it's not like i'm wearing a bikini any time in my life. wink. but rest. yes. lots of it.

      Delete
  6. This "visitor from Chattanooga, TN" so enjoys your blog! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and you know what? i love you dear friend. what an amazing woman you are.

      Delete
  7. So delighted to hear you have turned the corner. I agree, tending home tends the heart <3...even when recovering from surgery. Little by little. Know your limits. Jammies are a good idea to tending too. We call them "CCs {comfort clothes} in our home.

    Wish I lived closer, friend. We would sit in a sunny window and sip tea and chat about this and that...

    {tender hugs}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for the hugs, my sweet friend. i miss you. been a long time...

      Delete
  8. Oh Sweetie, I didn't know you had surgery! I have a new tablet and could go to my blog. :) Praying for your complete recovery. Love and Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you cathy - you're such a dear friend.

      Delete
  9. I am actually laughing out loud..for real. May I say (w/o offending) I am so glad you "got over" that early phase - I always dreamed of being that kind of Mom/and tender of the HOME- I went through 'spells' of trying this and that method -probably the one you refer to trying to do it all and do it to perfection and in a timely fashion..I WANTED TO. Does that count for anything? :) Now in this present phase & new season of my life I think I have won some of those earlier battles...It helped a lot choosing a home that is essentially an easy keeper and then it really made a difference when I learned to 'over look' certain things-reminding myself that many of my contemporaries can't see two feet ahead of their noses and their own house may not be white glove ready either. And it goes without saying I have no children or grand children in the house constantly..Take care and be well soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. real life is preferred .. while my home is still clean, it isn't model home perfect. that's bondage. :)

      Delete
  10. I'm glad you paid attention to your abdominal pain and went to the hospital when you did. My husband's appendix burst when he was in his 50's (about 20 years ago) and he nearly died. And the recovery was very long. Take care of yourself. Do what is comfortable, but don't over do. :) Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a burst appendix is the worst as i understand it to be. ... longer hospital stay, infection, and a long recovery. sorry to learn your husband went that route. :( glad he's okay now.

      i overdid it today. i'm officially a moron.

      Delete
  11. Being still is not one of my better qualities - so.. I feel your pain. I wish I was closer.. I'm a marginal house keeper so I wouldn't do much cleaning, but in true Gemini fashion I could keep you distracted with a variety of my OCD lunacies. Oddly.. both my campers are immaculate.. but my house plays second fiddle to those. Huggies... FL...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. don't distract me from my life of denial please. wink.

      Delete
  12. PS--- and get well while wearing your pearls. FL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i will. but i misplaced my pearl earrings. sad - so sad.

      Delete
  13. That just won't do my friend.... how can we fix this?? Misplaced.. or really really lost them? FL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i found them. right where they *should* be. silly girl i am.

      Delete
  14. Heal well my sweet friend and I hope sooner than later you can resume things slowly.
    Blessings, hugs and prayers Love Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're a kind soul, jeanne. thank you. :)

      Delete

pearls of wisdom . . .