12 February 2016

knobs & new bedroom addition(s).


first off, i found them! whew. they were in an undisclosed location and i've already forgotten where i did in fact find them. .such is life according to sherry.

once the painting process was completed and the knobs were attached to the drawers and cabinets, i felt a deep sense of satisfaction because very honestly the end product met exactly with my hopes and intent. but really - if it didn't turn out it's just paint and i could have repeated the process until i got it "right." but as The Nester says, 
"It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful." 
good thing.... wink.

so here's a sampling ..


i wanted to bring some tones in from the bedroom furniture. and while we do own an ethan allen shaker bedroom set (purchased the 1st year of marriage all those many moons ago) we also own a couple family pieces (night stands) from the late 1800's early 1900's. i love the character of the pieces as they show real life in all its imperfect glory. again, it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful. repeat that 3 times.


here's the paints and wax used in the process ::
glidden nutmeg, ascp paris grey, ascp old ochre, 
& miss mustard seed white wax.


i bought this glidden tester (actually i bought 3) back in 2014 when i painted elements in my 58 terry trailer. the paint was a near perfect match to the zinsser amber shellac used in the interior of that sweet little trailer. here's a picture of what i painted in there :: the sliding cabinet doors near the top of the picture. 
near perfect match, huh?


so here's the paint formula in case you like it and want to use it yourself on knobs, cabinets, or the interior elements of a vintage trailer to match the zinsser amber shellac. 


it was also a near perfect match for some awesome vintage twine in my stash! here's the first coat on wooden knobs. uneven strokes are fine because more paint is coming.. 


a swish of paris grey ..


a splotch of old ochre ..


don't forget the sides and under-sides ..


then dab a tich of MMS white wax, wait about 5 minutes, then buff using those neato blue paper shop towels. don't use paper towels because of the lint factor. the blue paper shop towels have no lint factor. be smart like me and use those, though it was the owner of the shop i work at who told me about those thingies. credit where credit is due and this time it's to the painting master!



then we measured, drilled, and added the knobs ..
{sunny day two skylights in that little room}


the perfect old world feel was met, i believe.
and i'm quite happy with the project ..



oh but wait! there's more! 

ikea was calling my name and while roaming aimlessly meandering the aisles of wonderfulness i saw this rug. it's 3.5 x 5 feet and the perfect grey. and $13. i bought it. i may go back and get another to put in the bathroom and/or closet. yEp. 


and a new pillow case in a sunshine yellow for the bed. looks so much better than what i had there originally. 


so. our project is not yet complete. nope.
we'll be painting the walls and moving the furniture around a bit, adding wall lamps on either side of the rose picture, and a few other touches as whimsy strikes. keep your one good eye open..i'll share pictures as these little things are finished.

the end.



23 comments:

  1. Yes, the knobs DO have an old world feel. I really like that look too. You did a great job on this project, Sherry. And I have to say that I LOVE that picture of the yellow roses above your bed. It's so cheerful and pretty. The grey rug is pretty cool too.

    Happy Valentine's Day, my dear.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm now calling it 'old world' or 'dirty farmhouse flair' .. wink.
      thanks so much sheri - :)
      {my husband's mother painted the rose picture. she was a true artist.}

      Delete
  2. My one eye is open! I LOVE what you've done. Now if I can only find the knobs for my extra kitchen cabinets!
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what kind of knobs are you searching for, Ad?
      i have others... all vintage.

      Delete
  3. Perfecto!

    The pillow is great too, and ties in with those beautiful roses. I love to see your projects, thank you for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's coming together nicely.
      we love walking into our bedroom,
      and seeing the changes. what was once
      simply a room to sleep in, is now a room
      to enjoy sleeping in!

      Delete
  4. Always safe with a good and pure wood knob!
    As for the look you carry through your home I was happy to see a wood knob used here, you didn't over think changing it up, and going all crazy racking your brain in the search for a perfect new now knob. Your choice I'm keeping it simple was the perfectly imperfect choice. The paint finish so forgiving with years of never worrying about a chip, nick, or scratch.
    Love the finished look, and I bet you love going into that space of country Frenchness.

    As for the area rug, I can't tell you Sherry how long I have stressed over the perfect area rugs for my home, so I do without....seriously! Have such a want, that I turn down great finds because of my obsessiveness in what I want, and what I don't want... And the price of rugs these days kill me to think we walk all over them.
    I want that Turkish feel of faded aged and tattered feel, but not! I don't want that new cheneilish shine that is on so many, I want that old cotton fiber that wore like nothing else I. The 70's and 80's import store buys.
    And when I do see one that I know would work, I then talk myself out of it because it maybe to much of a change for me! To bold, or not bold enough.... See my issue here.

    Now more then ever, I am on the hunt, if not found soon you may find a drop cloth in its place ?

    Love your new look, is this just not the best lift to the soul of your home, and the spirit in how you want to live?
    See you soon my good friend.

    Xx
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. drop cloth :: i know a gal who painted a drop cloth (very decorative) and uses it as a rug! she doesn't have a blog and doesn't live near me or i'd take a picture or share a website. but maybe you could do that - paint a drop cloth!

      my hubby just made our bed - i'm blessed. it's a saturday morning with good coffee.

      Delete
    2. Wow! He's a keeper, bed maker? And so finely made.
      Enjoy your coffee and day.
      I am off to get rid of some old 1970's early 80's salt glazed pottery that was part of our shop decor in Northern Ca. Called Country in the City, we were located right behind the doors of Nordstroms across the street, it's been in my storage far to long, I am simplifying this weekend.
      Enjoy yours to the fullest.
      Xx
      Dore

      Delete
    3. simplifying is oft times hard to do but in the end offers MUCH in the way of freedom!

      Delete
  5. Great job on the knobs!! Crazy cool how that pillow cover causes such a pop to the painting!!! Love it!! And, I love love to go to Ikea and study the small space apartments they have set up! Fascinates me!!! Happy Saturday lovely lady! tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. would love to meander the aisles and tiny rooms with you at ikea, tammy. i'm forever inspired by living with less - and am seeing to making it a personal pursuit.

      Delete
  6. very very pretty! you've been busy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, carolyn.
      busy keeps my mind occupied. ;)

      Delete
  7. You found the knobs! I laugh because I do the same thing! It's a Winnie the Pooh moment...that sounds better ;). You did a great job transforming the knobs. They really complete the cabinets. I like your description, "then dab a tich..." This sounds very Beatrix Potterish. <3

    Trips to IKEA....ahhhh.....a fun place. Still praying they build one in my area! Enjoy your new spa bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i like your Beatrix Potterish inference, Jemima Puddleduck. wink.

      love,
      mrsTiggywinkle

      Delete
  8. I knew you'd find the knobs. :) Love how you painted them. Very old world. So cool that you have the shaker bedroom set from the first year of your marriage. I've always liked that style. I cannot BE-lieve how perfectly that yellow pillow cover matches the yellow roses in your painting. Nice rug. Everything looks great, Sherry. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we're really pleased with how things are turning out. we're really happy we're finally doing something purty-like with our bedroom. why is it that the master bedroom is oft times the last room to get fluffed up?

      Delete
  9. Once lost, now found and fabulous! Sherry wonderful faux finish.
    xx,
    Vera

    ReplyDelete

pearls of wisdom . . .