12 November 2016

a new-to-me cozy.



if you've been reading my blog very long you know i'm an early riser. sometimes too early which is vexing if i have an active day ahead of me. this morning i woke at 1am, 2am, then again at 4:15am, at which time i got up. letting the pooch outside i left the slider open then padded to the kitchen to brew some coffee. always strong. the good stuff. peets*major dickason ground for pour-over. once brewed and in my favorite white morning mug, i made my way to my 'new' chair/ottoman.. and cozied in. the Word, good coffee, and coziness .. the best ever.

i found this chair/ottoman on craigslist for a sweet $ the hubs and i drove an hour for a closer look and feel. while in need of a serious cleaning, we realized excellent construction and overall condition and decided the purchase was a good one. i paid the man (thankful for my shop-girl job at the antique store!), the guys loaded the pieces into the back of our suburban assault vehicle and we were on our way home.

this picture is after its first cleaning... nicely situated and SO comfy.
it's the one on the left.. i'm thankful the colors in this chair blend so well with the rest of the room's tones. like it was meant to be ..


i called a national upholstery cleaning company and they spat out a price of $150 to clean the chair. seriously? $150? snort... i don't THINK so! so, i began the process of cleaning it myself with some success. we then decided to invest in a small upholstery cleaning machine (bissell) with 5 consistent stars on amazon and half the price quoted by the professional cleaner.. should be here sunday thanks to amazon prime. monday you can find me focused on making that chair absolutely presentable, beautiful, and **clean**! having the bissell at home will be convenient for keeping our other upholstered pieces clean as well.. i have a feeling this is a very good purchase ... the bissell & the chair.

i cleaned the entire chair as best i could ... the bissell will go further.
here's a close-up of the ottoman top .. stark difference.


 early morning devotions are extra special when cozied in ..


today's a busy one.
i'm working at the shop
{been working more often lately}
but have things to do beforehand
so must get on with my day.

after a day of never sitting down ...
constant talking with customers about items for sale and especially Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and process, walking, lifting, climbing .. i'll be done in by the time 5:30 comes around! so the hubs is taking me out for a burger bless his sweet heart. he's also taking me to and fro for work so i don't have to drive, and as is often, he'll massage my aching feet tonight. he's swell .

blessings to each of you ..
hoping the grace He pours forth would be met with willing hearts.

in love,
sherry


17 comments:

  1. Love so much about this post, but mostly just kinda swooning over the first photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's a cozy space. we don't have a large home (as you know cuz you've been here) but it's enough for us and offers comfy spots.

      Delete
  2. Love your new chair. Cleaning has already made a big difference but looking forward to hearing about the Bissell effect. Great purchase, dear friend.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. already i'm SOLD on this bissell! will do a post devoted to it soon.. i need to name my new chair.

      Delete
  3. I'm thankful for His sweet grace.

    Your day sounds long but fun. Sweet hubs to rub your feet.

    Love that chair and the other one, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the hubs is a keeper for that reason and so many more. i'd be completely and utterly lost w/o him...

      Delete
  4. Sherry, I noticed your comments about not sleeping and waking all night long. I have this same problem because I am depressed. My dr. has put me on meds that make my life much better. I strongly feel that you may be depressed, because of the situation with your daughter. Please consider talking to your physician.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i've been challenged with grief for nearly 5+ years now, yes. overall i'm forging through and finding my steps and a good path. but this sleeping thing? sigh... my next doctor visit i'll be requesting an Rx for a sleep aid. past time really.. thank you for your thoughts, sharon..much appreciated. ♥

      Delete
  5. Looks like a nice chair, and also a warm and cozy space for reading, praying, thinking. I'm such an early bird too, but 5:00 is about the earliest that I will get up. Your morning coffee sounds soooo good.

    I'm glad you have a lovely chair just for you to settle down after a long day.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 5am is sleeping in for this old gal. :(
      UNfortunately. will be asking for a sleep aid
      from my doc soon.

      right now the hubs is making his morning coffee..
      i usually do that but he's up and willing so why not right?
      wink. he makes it strong as well... no namby pamby
      coffee consumers in this household.

      Delete
  6. Love the chair! I found the chair in my Study at Goodwill one day. I wasn't even looking for a chair but I knew it was perfect for that room, even if it has not been chic since the 1980s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. need to go back and look at your study chair!
      i'm not much into 'furniture fads' as i am
      having something comfy and pretty no matter
      the era. :)

      Delete
  7. That is a great chair! I am always a little hesitant and nervous about secondhand chairs, but you're inspiring me to think twice. What a cozy spot you have for morning devotions and coffee. Reminds me of a sign I saw at Ellen's blog (The Happy Wonderer) that said this: All I need is a little bit of coffee and a whole lot of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2nd hand anything is great as long as the item can be properly cleaned and has good construction. :) i'm known for consignment or thrifted furniture purchases.

      i love the quote: all i need is a little bit of coffee and a whole lot of Jesus. ♥ ♥ ♥

      Delete
  8. What a great find!! Don't you just love a bargain? When it's just the thing? And that chair is certainly just the thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. been looking for a while now only to have 2nd thoughts about the 2nd hand chairs so i backed away from possible purchases. but this? this chair was meant to be. no 2nd thought. and the hubs was willing and happy to drive an hour from home with me to check it out, load it up, and bring it back home. it's cleaned now ... and this week i'll scotchguard it. :)

      Delete
  9. Looks perfectly cozy in your space with the other chair. Great find and "Do it yourself" for the cleaning is a huge savings! We are in the process of ripping out the kitchen countertops. We weren't going to pay someone big $ to do that!

    ReplyDelete

pearls of wisdom . . .